Friday, July 27, 2012

Anathema

by Colleen Coble

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Hannah Swartz is a faithful girl in her Amish community, at least until she meets Reece. One fateful night, her parents are killed and she finds herself letting Reece take her away from the only home she has ever known in Parke County, Indiana. Finding forgiveness for her parents' killer impossible, she believes Reece is her only chance of a happy life.

But four years into her marriage, she leaves Reece in hopes she can do better for herself. Returning years later to her community, she sees a chance at redemption from her anathema. But will decades of hurt come back to destroy the few people left in her family? Or will bigger lies forever shatter any hope of return and acceptance?

While I immensely enjoyed the storyline, I thought the author gave away an important element and key fact too soon into the book. It would have been nice to not have discovered the truth so soon. But the overall plot kept me guessing and wondering what else could possibly go wrong. The Amish community's reactions to the shunned Hannah reminded me too much of my own experiences when I left my own church, and I really sympathized with her plight. There are many rich word pictures and colorful depictions of Amish life, and as a reader I got a true sense of what it could be like to be in that life. I couldn't put the book down and I read it in a day. I would definitely recommend this book and author.

No comments:

Post a Comment